The Citadel of the Southern Pass is our local branch of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA), a 50 year old Medieval and Renaissance recreation organization with groups around the world. In the manner of the feudal societies of the Middle Ages, we divide our groups up into Kingdoms, and Baronies. As such, our "Barony" encompasses the greater El Paso,Texas area, including El Paso County, Hudspeth County, and a small section of New Mexico, close to the Texas border.
Our Barony is located within the Kingdom of the Outlands, which is comprised of El Paso/Hudspeth County Texas, New Mexico, most of Colorado, a small part of western Nebraska, and parts of Wyoming.
Activities common within the SCA include Middle Age costuming, weaving, woodworking, historical research, full armor combat, fencing, archery, exploring and reliving the ideals of Chivalry, period cooking, leatherworking, making maille, armor construction, and many other activities.
- What is the Recruitment & Retention Council?November 29, 2018The Barony has shown remarkable recovery over the past 5 ½ years since the Investiture of Baron Christopher and Baroness Jamilla. During their tenure the Barony went from 38 (paid) members to 88 at their stepping down (Their tenure lasted 21 […]
- Celebration Citadel’s Feast of Saint StephenNovember 27, 2018Their Excellencies would like to invite you to their home on Friday, December 21, 2018 at 7 pm to enjoy an evening of friendship in Celebration of the Citadel Tradition of Saint Stephen’s. This potluck feast is a chance for the Populace for the […]
- Baronial Day and Populace Gathering this Sunday (12/2/2018)November 27, 2018Duke Sean fighting Duke Hans von Wolfholz We will be holding Populace Gathering this Sunday in conjunction with the SCA Fighter Seminar with Duke Sean of Artemisia. Please join us in support of our fighters and help us to welcome His Grace as well […]
- Outlands CoronationNovember 9, 2018Hrorekr and Slaine, Crown Prince and Princess of the Outlands Join us in the Shire of Drygestan (Santa Fe, New Mexico) for two days of merriment and celebration as we thank King Béla VI and Queen Anna IV for their leadership and we welcome the new King […]
- Words from Their Excellencies Tariq and EliethNovember 8, 2018Hale Mighty Citadel! Your Champions have been chosen! The Feast of Saint Edrik, celebrated in October in honor of the founding of the Barony, is the event where all of our Baronial Champions are chosen through tournaments and contests as befitting the […]
- Baronial Day and Fighter Practice Cancelled TodayNovember 4, 2018Good morning! Baronial Day and Fighter Practice has been cancelled today in favor of supporting the Shire of Nahrun Kabirun at the Las Cruces Renaissance Faire. We had a great day yesterday and we look forward to more fun today! We hope to see you all […]
- The Archer: November 1, 2018October 30, 2018ARROW: Good morning! This weekend, your archery team is requesting your support at the Las Cruces Ren Faire. There will be no archery at the museum to allow everyone the opportunity to go to this event. Congratulations to Jim for earning his red […]
- Outlands Volunteer Coordinator for Estrella War seeks a coordinator for CitadelOctober 26, 2018Greetings to teh faire and mighty populace of the Citadel of the Southern Pass! As you know, shortly after winter ends we will go to WAR! Saerlaith inghean Robeaird, Outlands Volunteer Coordinator for Estrella War, is seeking one amongst our populace […]
- October Clothiers and Textile Guild MeetingOctober 24, 2018This month’s Clothier’s and Textile Guild will be held at the home of Nate and Regina Mankel, 14188 Honey Point Drive, El Paso TX, 79938. Nate will be teaching people to make a shirt, (16th century) with hand sewing techniques. PM for details. You will […]
- St. Edrik’s Court ReportOctober 23, 2018Herein lies the court report for The Feast of St. Edrik in the Citadel of the Southern Pass on October, 13th, 2018, A.S. 53. The following awards were given by Their Excellencies Tariq and Elieth. Lord Tachibana Hideaki is the newest Heavy Armored […]
What is the SCA?
The Society for Creative Anachronism is a re-creation society for the Middle Ages. Our purpose is to bring to life the skills, ideals, and beauty that represents the best of the Middle Ages. The charter of the Society covers the time period up to 1600 A.D. Members select the time that interests them, and develop their name, style of clothing, armor, etc., through research.
The "best" of the Middle Ages and Renaissance includes ideals of chivalry, honor, loyalty, and respect for ladies. Many of the good values we work towards today had their roots in the Middle Ages and the concepts and ideals of Chivalry. These are the very same ideals we strive to demonstrate and teach in our group.
The SCA is an activity for the entire family. We offer classes for all ages in courtesy, courtly graces, and chivalry, as well as other areas of interest. It is our desire to use these tools to encourage strength of character in all participants. Even children are encouraged to participate in arts and sciences, games, camping, and foam-weapon fighting.
Our Society is composed of people from all walks of life - anyone is welcome to participate!
Many of our members have extraordinary skill in calligraphy, metal working, costuming, and other arts. Most of us, though, are just ordinary folks who join the SCA to escape the pressure or boredom of everyday life -- people who enjoy the camaraderie and fellowship of other honorable people, and enjoy a chance to witness the pageantry and atmosphere of times past. Should you have any questions about the SCA or our local group please feel free to contact our Chatelaine, who will gladly answer any and all questions possible.
For detailed information please check out our Baronial Calendar of Events!