The Citadel of the Southern Pass is our local branch of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA), a 50 year old Medieval and Renaissance recreation organization with groups around the world. In the manner of the feudal societies of the Middle Ages, we divide our groups up into Kingdoms, and Baronies. As such, our "Barony" encompasses the greater El Paso,Texas area, including El Paso County, Hudspeth County, and a small section of New Mexico, close to the Texas border.
Our Barony is located within the Kingdom of the Outlands, which is comprised of El Paso/Hudspeth County Texas, New Mexico, most of Colorado, a small part of western Nebraska, and parts of Wyoming.
Activities common within the SCA include Middle Age costuming, weaving, woodworking, historical research, full armor combat, fencing, archery, exploring and reliving the ideals of Chivalry, period cooking, leatherworking, making maille, armor construction, and many other activities.
- The Archer: Saturday February 16February 16, 2019The Arrow: Good morning, the winds are higher than we can consider safe, please join us for archery next week on Saturday at the normal time! Jessa email@example.com […]
- Officer Positions open in the Citadel of the Southern PassFebruary 15, 2019Greetings members of the populous. After years of service the following officers are stepping down at Kingdom A&S in April and we need letters of intent to fill these positions. Exchequer Webminister Rapier marshal. If you are interested in serving […]
- February Baronial Officer’s Meeting is this weekFebruary 13, 2019The Officer corps. of the Barony will be holding it’s regular monthly meeting this Thursday, February 14, 2019 at 7:00 pm at The Baronial Estate, 9900 Chinaberry Drive, El Paso, TX 79925. These meetings are open to all who wish to attend and we even have […]
- Citadel of the Southern Pass PollingFebruary 9, 2019Their Excellencies Tariq and Elieth are pleased to extend an invitation to one and all to attend their Majesties as they poll the Baronial Populace in the process of choosing the successors of the Baronet of the Citadel of the Southern Pass. A polling […]
- Greetings from Tariq and Elieth, Baron and Baroness of the Citadel of the Southern Pass!February 6, 2019Greetings to the Mighty Populace of the Citadel of the Southern Pass! We, Tariq and Elieth, Baron and Baroness do send you joyous greetings! The time of War is once again upon us! We must rally behind our Noble King and Queen beneath the banners of our […]
- Kingdom of the Outlands Arts and Sciences Competition, Queen’s Prize Tournament, and Baronial InvestitureFebruary 6, 2019Their Majesties of the Kingdom of the Outlands and their Excellencies of the Barony of the Citadel of the Southern Pass invite you to join us for the Kingdom of the Outlands Arts and Sciences Competition, Queen’s Prize Tournament, and Baronial […]
- Citadel’s new Archery event coming soon! A Hunt for Mythical BeastsFebruary 6, 2019Folklore is littered with accounts of unusual beasts of all shapes and sizes. Stories about strange beasts are told the world over. They offer excitement, a sense of wonder, and a chance to take a peek into an unusual world. A Hunt for Mythical Beasts […]
- Baronial Arts & Sciences Night on February 11th: Pets Throughout HistoryFebruary 6, 2019The history of pets is intertwined with the process of animal domestication, and it is likely that the dog, as the first domesticated species, was also the first pet. Perhaps the initial steps toward domestication were taken largely through the […]
- From our Baron and Baroness, Tariq and EliethFebruary 3, 2019Dear populace, friends and family We, Tariq and Elieth, Baron and Baroness of the Citadel of the Southern Pass send greetings. After 4 years of serving our beloved Barony as Baron and Baroness, we have decided to continue serving the Dream in other ways, […]
- The Archer- January 26January 25, 2019Good morning archers! Looks like a sunny mid 50s to low 60s this weekend for archery. Low breezy winds, maybe some 10mph gusts. Last weekend we had 70 archers in attendance! See you there! -jessa Phoenixnest915@gmail.com for more info […]
What is the SCA?
The Society for Creative Anachronism is a re-creation society for the Middle Ages. Our purpose is to bring to life the skills, ideals, and beauty that represents the best of the Middle Ages. The charter of the Society covers the time period up to 1600 A.D. Members select the time that interests them, and develop their name, style of clothing, armor, etc., through research.
The "best" of the Middle Ages and Renaissance includes ideals of chivalry, honor, loyalty, and respect for ladies. Many of the good values we work towards today had their roots in the Middle Ages and the concepts and ideals of Chivalry. These are the very same ideals we strive to demonstrate and teach in our group.
The SCA is an activity for the entire family. We offer classes for all ages in courtesy, courtly graces, and chivalry, as well as other areas of interest. It is our desire to use these tools to encourage strength of character in all participants. Even children are encouraged to participate in arts and sciences, games, camping, and foam-weapon fighting.
Our Society is composed of people from all walks of life - anyone is welcome to participate!
Many of our members have extraordinary skill in calligraphy, metal working, costuming, and other arts. Most of us, though, are just ordinary folks who join the SCA to escape the pressure or boredom of everyday life -- people who enjoy the camaraderie and fellowship of other honorable people, and enjoy a chance to witness the pageantry and atmosphere of times past. Should you have any questions about the SCA or our local group please feel free to contact our Chatelaine, who will gladly answer any and all questions possible.
For detailed information please check out our Baronial Calendar of Events!