The Citadel of the Southern Pass is our local branch of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA), a 50 year old Medieval and Renaissance recreation organization with groups around the world. In the manner of the feudal societies of the Middle Ages, we divide our groups up into Kingdoms, and Baronies. As such, our "Barony" encompasses the greater El Paso,Texas area, including El Paso County, Hudspeth County, and a small section of New Mexico, close to the Texas border.
Our Barony is located within the Kingdom of the Outlands, which is comprised of El Paso/Hudspeth County Texas, New Mexico, most of Colorado, a small part of western Nebraska, and parts of Wyoming.
Activities common within the SCA include Middle Age costuming, weaving, woodworking, historical research, full armor combat, fencing, archery, exploring and reliving the ideals of Chivalry, period cooking, leatherworking, making maille, armor construction, and many other activities.
- The Archer: October 19, 2018October 18, 2018ARROW: Good morning archers! We are still open, parking at border patrol and walking up still. This weekend is looking a little iffy, temps in the low 60s but the winds nearing 20mph. Remember, we are now at 11-2 for non dinner hours! […]
- DEMO: Volunteer Packet for El Paso Street Fest 5, 6 & 7 OctoberSeptember 29, 2018Here is a PDF with information about the Street Fest 2018 event for those coming to help us with the Demo. Feel free to print it out or save it on your phone. Volunteer Packet for Street Fest 2018Download Please read through it! It will answer a lot of […]
- NOTICE: Date Change for Citadel Populace GatheringSeptember 28, 2018Mighty Citadel heed the words of Tariq & Elieth, Baron and Baroness! Their Excellencies call upon the populace of the Citadel to Pray heed to the Date Change and attend the Baronial Day & Populace Gathering to be held on Sunday, October 7, 2018 […]
- The Archer: September 20, 2018September 19, 2018ARROW: Good morning archers! This weekend, Saturday September 22, we should have absolutely gorgeous weather! mid 70s, light breeze and sunny. We are still at 10am-1pm, but will be changing to the 11am-2pm on October 20. We have the seasonal […]
- The Archer: September 13, 2018September 12, 2018ARROW: This Saturday, September 15, looks like a nice day for shooting with sunny skies, 80s aime a light breeze. We are still on summer hours until the Saturday after Edriks, October 20. **there is construction going on at EPMArch, please park in the […]
- Feast of St Edrik 2018September 11, 2018There has been a murder in Citadel on the most glorious weekend of birthday celebrations and championships! Come, join us for a weekend of mystery and championships on the west side of El Paso, Texas at the BSA Yucca Council Camp Pioneer. We will be […]
- Words from Their ExcellenciesSeptember 10, 2018Unto the Mighty populace of the Citadel of the Southern Pass do we, Tariq and Elieth, Baron and Baroness, send greetings! As first order of business, we wish to announce that the Outlands has Royal Heirs! Al hale Hrorek and Slaine, Crown Prince and […]
- Her Royal Majesty’s Court Report for Hastilude LIIISeptember 9, 2018Greetings Unto Their Royal Majesties and the Mighty Blue Iris Herald Here is a list of the awards given at Hastilude, Saturday evening August 25th. Patricia of the Citadel – AoA – Not present; Handed off to The Baron and Baroness of Citadel. […]
- Court Report for Hastilude LIIISeptember 6, 2018Herein lies the court report for Their Excellencies Tariq and Elieth, Baron and Barrones of the Citadel of the Southern Pass, for their event, Hastilude hosted in the Shire of White Mountain on August 25th, A.S. 53, 2018 Gregorian. The following awards […]
- Citadel Seeks Baronial WebministerSeptember 6, 2018Due to complications in his Mundane life that were keeping him from being able to keep up with his office, m’lord Marius has decided to step down as Baronial Webminister. Marius did a fine job maintaining the Baronial Website and we are sorry to […]
What is the SCA?
The Society for Creative Anachronism is a re-creation society for the Middle Ages. Our purpose is to bring to life the skills, ideals, and beauty that represents the best of the Middle Ages. The charter of the Society covers the time period up to 1600 A.D. Members select the time that interests them, and develop their name, style of clothing, armor, etc., through research.
The "best" of the Middle Ages and Renaissance includes ideals of chivalry, honor, loyalty, and respect for ladies. Many of the good values we work towards today had their roots in the Middle Ages and the concepts and ideals of Chivalry. These are the very same ideals we strive to demonstrate and teach in our group.
The SCA is an activity for the entire family. We offer classes for all ages in courtesy, courtly graces, and chivalry, as well as other areas of interest. It is our desire to use these tools to encourage strength of character in all participants. Even children are encouraged to participate in arts and sciences, games, camping, and foam-weapon fighting.
Our Society is composed of people from all walks of life - anyone is welcome to participate!
Many of our members have extraordinary skill in calligraphy, metal working, costuming, and other arts. Most of us, though, are just ordinary folks who join the SCA to escape the pressure or boredom of everyday life -- people who enjoy the camaraderie and fellowship of other honorable people, and enjoy a chance to witness the pageantry and atmosphere of times past. Should you have any questions about the SCA or our local group please feel free to contact our Chatelaine, who will gladly answer any and all questions possible.
For detailed information please check out our Baronial Calendar of Events!