The Citadel of the Southern Pass is our local branch of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA), a 50 year old Medieval and Renaissance recreation organization with groups around the world. In the manner of the feudal societies of the Middle Ages, we divide our groups up into Kingdoms, and Baronies. As such, our "Barony" encompasses the greater El Paso,Texas area, including El Paso County, Hudspeth County, and a small section of New Mexico, close to the Texas border.
Our Barony is located within the Kingdom of the Outlands, which is comprised of El Paso/Hudspeth County Texas, New Mexico, most of Colorado, a small part of western Nebraska, and parts of Wyoming.
Activities common within the SCA include Middle Age costuming, weaving, woodworking, historical research, full armor combat, fencing, archery, exploring and reliving the ideals of Chivalry, period cooking, leatherworking, making maille, armor construction, and many other activities.
- Citadel Announces Our Baronial Seneschal!April 19, 2017We would like to announce the appointment of Lady Aoife Ruadh Inghean Ragnaill as the new Seneschal of the Barony! We are excited about her joining the Officer Corps and look forward to working with her as we all continue to strive to build a continue […]
- MAY DAY 2017April 19, 2017It´s MAY DAY Populace Meeting! This month’s populace meeting will include the delicious flavor of the European tradition of Maypole dancing and period games. Come join the Citadel of the Southern Pass for our tribute to Flora, the goddess of flowers. Pay […]
- Baronial Tournament to be Held at El Paso Comic ConApril 16, 2017On the 22nd of April at the El Paso Comic Con the Citadel of the Southern Pass will be hosting a tournament that will officially start with the first round beginning at 9 AM. Fighters and others are encouraged to arrive at 8 AM as the list will […]
- From Their Excellencies Tariq & EliethApril 11, 2017Her Excellency Elieth and I write to you today as we celebrate two years in service to The Stag Crown and to you, our beloved Barony! As many of you know, this past March 29th marked our second anniversary as Baron and Baroness and we continue to be […]
- The Citadel Goes to Grand Outlandish!April 6, 2017Mighty Citadel! Join Her Excellency Elieth and I as we travel north to spend an amazing weekend with our cousins in the Barony of al-Barran as they host the most excellent event, Grand Outlandish! THe fun that we have at this event is off the scale and […]
- Seeking Rook Pursuviant (The Baronial Herald)March 29, 2017As the warrant of Lord Marco Paulo dei Este comes to an end the Barony will soon be in need of a new Rook Pursuviant (Baronial Herald). The Rook Pursuviant is responsible for all of the duties of a Baronial Herald, such as: •Heraldic consultations of the […]
- Baronial Newsletter for 1st Quarter 2017 (Jan to Mar)March 29, 2017Welcome to the new format of our Baronial Newsletter kicking off 2017 in the First Quarter. The entire newsletter is driven by YOU, the populace. No more deadlines, no more stress and no more fighting with people to generate content. What we do each […]
- Safety Tips for Water Bearing – From Lady VincettaMarch 24, 2017Even before the dust settles on the field during the latest melee, there are heroes scurrying about the fighters making sure they’re well hydrated and kept safe from one of the greatest threats to those who take up arms in the SCA, severe […]
- Baronial Rapier Marshal AnnouncementMarch 23, 2017With the start of the spring season, the days grow longer and the temperature rises steadily in our lovely, sleepy Barony. This shift in conditions allows for the addition of another evening fighter practice, focused more on the use of the rapier within […]
- First Meeting of the New Clothiers GuildMarch 20, 2017Greetings, Citadel With the blessing of Their Excellencies Tariq and Elieth, the Citadel of the Southern Pass now has a Clothiers Guild! Beginning in April, the Guild will meet from 6:30p — 9:30p on the first and third Friday of each month at 7363 […]
What is the SCA?
The Society for Creative Anachronism is a re-creation society for the Middle Ages. Our purpose is to bring to life the skills, ideals, and beauty that represents the best of the Middle Ages. The charter of the Society covers the time period up to 1600 A.D. Members select the time that interests them, and develop their name, style of clothing, armor, etc., through research.
The "best" of the Middle Ages and Renaissance includes ideals of chivalry, honor, loyalty, and respect for ladies. Many of the good values we work towards today had their roots in the Middle Ages and the concepts and ideals of Chivalry. These are the very same ideals we strive to demonstrate and teach in our group.
The SCA is an activity for the entire family. We offer classes for all ages in courtesy, courtly graces, and chivalry, as well as other areas of interest. It is our desire to use these tools to encourage strength of character in all participants. Even children are encouraged to participate in arts and sciences, games, camping, and foam-weapon fighting.
Our Society is composed of people from all walks of life - anyone is welcome to participate!
Many of our members have extraordinary skill in calligraphy, metal working, costuming, and other arts. Most of us, though, are just ordinary folks who join the SCA to escape the pressure or boredom of everyday life -- people who enjoy the camaraderie and fellowship of other honorable people, and enjoy a chance to witness the pageantry and atmosphere of times past. Should you have any questions about the SCA or our local group please feel free to contact our Chatelaine, who will gladly answer any and all questions possible.
For detailed information please check out our Baronial Calendar of Events!